< AlbaniaJump to navigation Jump to search
- Europe : Sixth largest continent; area 10,000,000 km2; pop. 720,000,000
- Balkans : Add brief definition or description
- Country : Nation, state, region, or territory, or large tract of land distinguishable by features of topography, biology, or culture.
- Balkan peninsula : Geographic name for a region of southeastern Europe, surrounded by the Black Sea to the east, by Aegean, Mediterranean and Ionian Sea to the south, and by the Adriatic Sea to the west.
- European Union : Political and economic association of 27 European states.
- Benito Mussolini : (1883-1945) The Fascist dictator of Italy from 1922 until 1943; as part of the Axis alliance, he led his country into war against France and Britain in 1940, and against the United States in 1941.
- Italy : Southern European republic (population c. 58.1 million; capital Rome) that has northern borders with France, Switzerland, Austria and Slovenia, and coastlines on the Tyrrhenian, Mediterranean, Ionian and Adriatic seas; founding member of the European Union.
- Macedonian language : A language in the Eastern group of South Slavic languages and the official language of the Republic of Macedonia.
- Montenegro : South-east European, former Yugoslav republic (population c. 678,000; capital Podgorica) off the north-eastern Adriatic Sea, bordering Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo and Albania.
- Serbia : Landlocked, former Yugoslav republic (population c. 10.2 million; capital Belgrade) in south-eastern Europe, having borders with Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Croatia.
- Atheism : Absence of belief in any god or other supernatural beings; distinct from antitheism, or opposition to religion, and agnosticism, the position that one cannot know whether such beings exist.
- CIA activities in Europe and Russia : Add brief definition or description
- Cold War : Geostrategic, economic and ideological struggle from about 1947 to 1991 between the Soviet Union and the United States and their allies.
- Communism : A political ideology, and also a system of government, according to which the means of production (including all large business concerns) should be controlled by the government.
- David McKiernan : A U.S Army General who was relieved early of command of the International Security Assistance Force, NATO's headquarters in Afghanistan; he commanded the ground forces in the Iraq War and is an armored combat specialist, as opposed to his replacement, GEN Stanley McChrystal, a special operations officer
- Dialect continuum : Range of dialects spoken across a large geographical area, differing only slightly between areas that are geographically close, and gradually decreasing in mutual intelligibility as the distances become greater.
- European Environment Agency : An agency of the European Union (EU) established as a major source of information and data for developing, adopting, implementing and evaluating environmental policy by member European countries.
- Euthanasia : The act of assisting in the death of an animal or patient, often to end suffering for an incurable disease; a painless death; sometimes called a mercy killing which may or may not be legal.
- Greek language : Indo-European language spoken mainly in Greece and Cyprus since Antiquity, with particular cultural prestige.
- Intelligence interrogation, U.S. : Policies, techniques and practices of United States interrogation in a national intelligence-gathering context. (See Intelligence interrogation, U.S., George W. Bush Administration for recent detailed discussions)
- Journey of Aeneas : In the Aeneid by Virgil, a catalog of the many places in the Mediterranean Sea visited by the fleeing Trojan hero Aeneas.
- Mountain range : Chain of mountains bordered by highlands or separated from other mountains by passes or valleys.
- Naples : City in Southern Italy, capital of Campania.
- Republic of Macedonia : Add brief definition or description
- U.S. government training of foreign police : Add brief definition or description
- Venice : Add brief definition or description