Nervous system/Related Articles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also changes related to Nervous system, or pages that link to Nervous system or to this page or whose text .
- Animal : A multicellular organism that feeds on other organisms, and is distinguished from plants, fungi, and unicellular organisms.
- Neuroscience : The study of nervous systems and their components.
- Central nervous system : The main information-processing organs of the nervous system, consisting of the brain, spinal cord, and meninges.
- Autonomous nervous system : Add brief definition or description
- Brain : The core unit of a central nervous system.
- Cerebral cortex : External tissue layer within the vertebrate brain, ensheathed by the pia mater; home to the nerve cell bodies; important in learning and dementia.
- Cerebellum : The small brain — a part of the hindbrain in vertebrates.
- Nerve : A bundle of nerve fibres that connects the central nervous system with other organs in an animal body.
- White matter : A subset of brain tissue whose volume is dominated by myelinated axons of nerve cells.
- Grey matter : A subset of brain tissue that contains few myelinated axons but the somas of nerve cells, as well as glia and endothelial structures.
- Myelin : The proteinaceous material constituting most of the insulating sheath that surrounds the axons of nerve cells.
- Neurogenesis : The formation of nerve cells from neural progenitor cells by means of cell division.
- Brain plasticity : The ability of the brain to adapt to new situations, e.g. by learning or neurogenesis.
- Synapse : Contact point between neurons and other cells, crucial for nerve signalling
- Glial cells : Add brief definition or description
- Peptide hormone : A class of chemical messengers, secreted into the blood from endocrine cells, that bind to specific receptors expressed on the plasma membrane of target cells.
- Neurochemistry : A subfield of biology that focuses on the chemical makeup of the brain with a particular emphasis on the metabolism of neuroactive compounds like neurotransmitters.
- Neurophysiology : The branch of physiology that studies the functions of the nervous system.
- Neurology : The medical specialty concerned with evaluating the nervous system and the other system that it affects, and the treatment of nervous system disorders.
- Neuropsychopharmacology : The study of the fundamental neuroscientific principles behind the action of drugs on brain and cognition; a subset of neuropharmacology, the action of drugs on all parts of the nervous system
- Cell differentiation : The process by which cells become structurally and functionally specialized.
- Biological signalling : Add brief definition or description
- Hemispheric lateralization : Add brief definition or description
- Interspike Interval Histogram : Add brief definition or description
- Intermolecular forces : Add brief definition or description
- Shaker gene : Add brief definition or description