Precision-guided munition/Related Articles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also changes related to Precision-guided munition, or pages that link to Precision-guided munition or to this page or whose text .
- Air-to-air missile : A guided missile fired by one aircraft at another airborne target, such as an aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicle, or cruise missile
- Air-to-surface missile : Launched from an fixed-wing aircraft or helicopter, missiles of this category have a wide variety of ranges, sensors, autonomy vs. man-in-the-loop control, warheads, and need for battle damage assessment
- Anti-ballistic missile : A guided missile that is capable of destroying a ballistic missile, usually by "hit-to-kill" physical collision during boost phase, midcourse, or terminal phase of the target's trajectory
- Anti-radiation missile : A guided missile that attacks radar transmitters
- Anti-satellite missile : A weapon, launched from inside the atmosphere, intended to destroy an orbiting satellite.
- Anti-tank missile : A air-to-surface or surface-to-surface missile, optimized to defeat the most heavily armored tanks by such measures as attacking the thinnest armor, or using dual warheads to defeat reactive armor
- Ballistic missile : A guided missile which, once its engines stop firing, follows a generally parabolic path to its target, defined by momentum, aerodynamic resistance, and gravity
- Cruise missile : A guided missile that uses aerodynamic forces, as well as active jet or rocket propulsion, to stay airborne and to adjust its course.
- Guided bomb : An unpowered, aircraft delivered weapon, which adjusts its course using aerodynamic control surfaces, and is controlled by a human operator or on-board autonomous guidance
- Guided shell : A piece of artillery ammunition that can alter its course after being fired.
- Surface-to-air missile : A guided missile fired from land or water, to destroy aircraft and possibly missiles; naval versions may have a secondary anti-shipping missile capability
- Surface-to-surface missile : A guided missile launched from the land or water surface of the Earth, aimed at a surface target
- Surface-to-underwater missile : A means of launching an antisubmarine torpedo from a surface ship, often by an unguided rocket booster, moving it at greater speed and range than possible for a torpedo in the water, and releasing the guided torpedo over the approximate location of the target
- Underwater-to-underwater missile : A weapon launched by one submarine at another submarine, which has an intermediate part of its path in which it flies through the air rather than the water, or possibly through a steam bubble.
- Torpedo : A naval weapon that travels underwater, using its own propulsion, to attack its target, minimally with onboard mechanisms to keep it on a straight course. Modern torpedoes are underwater guided missiles that can track their target and adjust their course to hit it
- Inertial navigation : Navigation method that does not depend on external references, but computes the present position by sensing the movement of the navigating platform from a precisely known starting point in space, using accelerometers to sense position changes from a reference provided by gyroscopes
- Celestial guidance : Add brief definition or description
- Go-onto-location-in-space : A weapons guidance paradigm in which the weapon guides itself to a specific set of geographic coordinates and activates its warhead, rather than sensing and tracking a target
- Go-onto-target : A guidance paradigm in which the sensor follows a potentially moving signal from the target, rather than going to a set of predefined geographic coordinates
- Global Navigation Satellite System : A system which allows small electronic devices to determine their location (Longitude, Latitude, and Altitude) as well as time with an accuracy of up to a few centimetres using time signals transmitted along a line of sight by radio from satellites.
- Kamikaze : Suicide attacks, specifically by Japanese aircraft in the Second World War, against military targets
- Unmanned aerial vehicle : Add brief definition or description
- Circular error probability : Add brief definition or description
- Laser designator : Add brief definition or description