Professional Engineer

From Citizendium
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article is basically copied from an external source and has not been approved.
Main Article
Related Articles  [?]
Bibliography  [?]
External Links  [?]
Citable Version  [?]
This editable Main Article is under development and subject to a disclaimer.
The content on this page originated on Wikipedia and is yet to be significantly improved. Contributors are invited to replace and add material to make this an original article.

Professional Engineer is the term for registered or licensed engineer in some countries, including the United States of America and Canada who are permitted to offer their professional services directly to the public. The term Professional Engineer and the phrase practice of professional engineering is legally defined and protected by law. In most jurisdictions only registered or licensed Professional Engineers are permitted to use the designated title, or to practice Professional Engineering.

Professional Engineering Titles

Post-nominal letters used vary by location:


  • Pr.Eng. or PrEng in South Africa (for engineers holding a B.Eng., B.Sc. or B.Sc.Eng. with relevant experience)


  • C.Eng in India Institution of Engineering under Royal Charter
  • P.E.Jp as a pre-nominal in Japan
  • Engineer or Engr is used as a pre-nominal (similar to Dr. or Prof.) in Pakistan
  • IR is used as a pre-nominal in Malaysia
  • MHKIE (member Hong Kong Instition of Engineers) is used for qualified professional engineer in Hong Kong who are members of the Hong Kong Institute of Engineers


  • EurIng (European Engineer) in Europe, used as a pre-nominal (similar to Dr. or Prof).
  • Ing.P.Eur (European Professional Engineer) in Europe, used as a pre-nominal
  • Dipl.-Ing. and Ing. in Germany (pre-nominal letters)
  • Ing. in Italy (for engineers holding a Master's degree) or Ing.jr (Bachelor's). A state exam is required. (pre-nominal letters)
  • Siv. Ing. (Sivilingeniør, M.Sc) and ing. (Høyskoleingeniør, B.Sc) in Norway. The titled is used by persons holding degrees from accredited engineering colleges and universities.
  • CEng (Chartered Engineer) and IEng (Incorporated Engineer) in the UK & Republic of Ireland. UK and Irish engineers may also carry post-nominal letters specific to their specialist engineering institute, such as MIET (professional engineers and graduate professionals registered with the IET)
  • Civ. Ing. in Sweden (for engineers holding a Master's degree in Engineering)
  • Ing. in Romania, used as a pre-nominal (similar to Dr. or Prof.).
  • Ing. for engineers holding a Master's degree in Czechia, used as a pre-nominal (similar to Dr. or Prof.).

Latin America

  • Ing. in Spanish speaking countries (pre-nominal letters) (similar to Dr. or Prof). Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Perú, Uruguay, Venezuela.

North America

  • P.Eng. is used in Canada, except the province of Quebec.
  • Eng. (French:ing.) is used in Quebec.
  • P.E. or PE is used in the U.S.



See also

External links