Talk:Cookware and bakeware

From Citizendium
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article is developing and not approved.
Main Article
Related Articles  [?]
Bibliography  [?]
External Links  [?]
Citable Version  [?]
To learn how to update the categories for this article, see here. To update categories, edit the metadata template.
 Definition Vessels or containers used to cook food. [d] [e]
Checklist and Archives
 Workgroup category Food Science [Editors asked to check categories]
 Talk Archive none  English language variant American English


This article has the potential of being enormous. If I'm not mistaken everything from pots, pans, knives, spoons, spatulas, mixers, blenders, and so on could fit here. My first thought on how to handle this would be 1) make use of the catalog subpage off of the cooking article and have a "Catalog of cooking utensils" which would have a link to individual articles. And 2) we might consider having broader articles to cover things like pots and pans, knives, etc.

Just some things to think about, and I'd be happy to help things progress in whichever direction is deemed best. --Todd Coles 03:20, 9 February 2009 (UTC)

Oh, I agree. Originally, I wanted to refer to "things in which you cook", but "pots and pans" didn't seem like a good title. My other-CIA cookbook divides into "stovetop" and "oven", but I don't like that distinction.
If you can come up with a better title, which expresses "things in which you cook food", that would be helpful; this title is indeed better for a catalog. Given I have 2 or 3 different dumpling makers, the scope is wide open. Howard C. Berkowitz 03:33, 9 February 2009 (UTC)
As a point of reference, Wikipedia has a similar article to this under the name "Cookware and bakeware."--Todd Coles 04:03, 9 February 2009 (UTC)
Much as I hate to mimic the Other Place, that's a good title that I shall use. The original "cooking utensils" should stay as the top level; I'll work on it a bit but am not sure of the best way to structure it.
So, just to throw a wrench in our article title, I dug up my old cooking textbook from college (On Cooking, Sarah Labensky & Alan Hause, 1995) and they lump all this together under the heading "Cookware". --Todd Coles 01:44, 11 February 2009 (UTC)