Linderhof is the only completed palace of Bavarian King Ludwig II. The palace and its extensive park are located in the Graswang valley in Southern Germany. Ludwig began planning for the construction project in 1867 after a visit to Versailles. Construction started in 1869 under the direction of Royal Architect Georg Dollmann. While the palace itself is quite small, its grounds contain many additional private buildings including a chapel, artificial grotto, and three pavilions. Linderhof was Ludwig's favorite residence, and he spent up to two weeks out of every month in residence there.