A Schützenfest is a traditional festival. It is a kind of fair featuring shooting match. At a Schützenfest contestants compete their shooting abilities for example by shooting at a wooden bird. The winner of the Competition is the 'Schützenkönig' ("King of Marksmen") until the next Schützenfest. In Germany a Schützenfest is celebrated in many villages and Towns once a year in the summer. The biggest Schützenfest take place in Germany (Hannover and Neuss) every year.
- Biberach an der Riß, Baden-Württemberg
- Hannover, Lower Saxony
- Hövelhof, North Rhine-Westphalia
- Neuss, North Rhine-Westphalia
- Oestinghausen, North Rhine-Westphalia
- Rietberg, North Rhine-Westphalia
- Salzkotten, North Rhine-Westphalia
In German, the term is also used for team sport events in which an unusually high number of goals is scored. This can be both on either side or on both, i.e. a 6-1 result in soccer could as well be called a "Schützenfest" as a 6-4.