Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 16:46, 2 November 2007 by (+WP Author)
|NOTICE, please do not remove from top of page.|
Expanded from WP article written June 2006
|Check the history of edits to see who inserted this notice.|
Other uses of the word "papers"
Very interesting article. But should there be a note about the other uses of the word “papers”?
- (1) The general world of newspapers: “The papers say . . . [that Britney Spears has gone insane]”;
- (2) A reference to official personal documents such as a passport or visa: “Show me your papers (or I’ll put you in Guantanamo Bay)”;
- (3) A catalogue or list or anthology of essays (“Papers on . . . the history of the three-legged race”);
- (4) The archived work of a notable personality (“The Papers of Bozo the Clown at the University of ___”);
- (5) Government documents: “Westminster Papers” or “Parliamentary Papers”;
- (6) Etc. Jeffrey Scott Bernstein 18:42, 1 November 2007 (CDT)
- a) Collected works about an individual, "Presidential Papers"
- b) Educational documents, "Term Papers", "Exam Papers"
- Very good point. I was actually intending to come back in with a top-of-page note to "Identity papers", which I'm sure we're going to have an article for sooner rather than later. That was the only other "papers" that came to me right off the bat. As many school papers as I have written (!) that usage never entered my mind.
- For the record, I'm solidly against disambiguation just for the hell of it. Where there is really, clear, one main use that first springs to most people's minds (Guinness), I think the main use should reside at the page, with other uses being listed at Article name (disambiguation).
- Actually, now that I think more about it, I'm really not such an idiot, after all. Here's the difference, Jeff: most of those other uses are a plural noun: i.e. one can use the singular just as well: test paper, newspaper, so the disambiguation there would be at "Paper". Animal papers, and identity papers are only ever used in the plural form.
- Having said all that, I have no problem with a disambiguation at "Papers" and this subject being at "Papers (animal) or some such.
- Finally, I've just checked in another window (Oh, the joys of tabs--thanks, Mozillla!) and for what it's worth, WP has this topic at Papers, human papers at Identity Document, and someone has added a top-of-page note for Court Papers, but there's no article as yet. Paper is about the stuff you write on, with a top-of-page note to Paper (disambiguation) which I think they have right.
- Aleta Curry 20:42, 1 November 2007 (CDT)
- p.s. I see paper is already a blue link here (yay!) so why don't you and I start CZ's Paper (disambiguation) page, whadya say, Jeffrey? Aleta Curry 20:44, 1 November 2007 (CDT)